For my intro to magazine class I
have to research a specific magazine and find out their ins-and-outs . The
magazine that will receive nonstop calls from me is Verge magazine; therefore I
should do a little reading on my publication of choice. I chose the first article I saw on their
homepage: “Convince Your Parents to Let You Study Abroad.”
Being a
college student who wants to travel around the world and live in a foreign
country, this stood out to me. Personally my mother doesn’t need convincing
because she wants me to get the entire college experience (and we already went to
Italy). It’s only a matter of finances in my situation, but that’s a different
blog entirely. I do know students whose
parents have the leash on so tight that it’s practically suffocating the
students. So students who are currently gasping for air, this is for you.
Number one: Safety First
Well this is pretty self explanatory and predictable. But it gave the emergency number of Europe and Australia. I was not privy to this information prior to reading this, so this is very useful. Also the writer pointed out to have medical insurance all figured out before going abroad. I would’ve never thought of that! I’m just imagining eating biscuits, sipping tea and exploring the Tower of London, not twisting my ankle while crossing the street to Buckingham Palace, which sounds like something that would happen to me.
Well this is pretty self explanatory and predictable. But it gave the emergency number of Europe and Australia. I was not privy to this information prior to reading this, so this is very useful. Also the writer pointed out to have medical insurance all figured out before going abroad. I would’ve never thought of that! I’m just imagining eating biscuits, sipping tea and exploring the Tower of London, not twisting my ankle while crossing the street to Buckingham Palace, which sounds like something that would happen to me.
Number two: Money
BUDGET! BUDGET! BUDGET! The pound is worth over twice as much as our dollar. Our dollar doesn’t count for didley-squat. I would feel like I’m paying Britain to convert my money into their money! That is all.
BUDGET! BUDGET! BUDGET! The pound is worth over twice as much as our dollar. Our dollar doesn’t count for didley-squat. I would feel like I’m paying Britain to convert my money into their money! That is all.
Number three: Staying Connected
Thank god for technology is what this portion should say. Although, it didn’t shed light on how high your bills will be if you don’t get an international plan! SKYPE can only do so much for you.
Thank god for technology is what this portion should say. Although, it didn’t shed light on how high your bills will be if you don’t get an international plan! SKYPE can only do so much for you.
Studying
abroad is pricey and risky, but that is what’s fun about it. It’s like going on
a vacation without your parents, but you sit in a class room taught by a
teacher with a rather thick accent. I’ve only been to Europe once, and I intend
on going again, but this time without my parents and maybe some medical
insurance for my clumsy self.
If you would like to read this little how-to, here is the link: http://www.vergemagazine.com/magazine/study-abroad/convincing-your-parents-to-let-you-study-abroad.html
No comments:
Post a Comment