Friday, March 28, 2014

Travel with Purpose

I have had itchy feet for some time now. No, I do not have athletes foot. I'm referring to the itchy feeling that makes people want to move around and experience life outside of their comfort zone and home. Verge magazine's article, Top Jobs for Itchy Feet has supplied me with 10 solutions to my problem, but I shall only share five that I'd actually do.


"Become an au pair" 
I love kids. Well, sometimes I love kids. All I keep imagining is that cheesy movie called Au Pair and its obviously about an au pair who originally thought that she was going to be an assistant, but turns out she really signed up to be a nanny. Whoops. Let's just say her relationship with the children got off on a bumpy start.

But I have 4-year-old sister, countless younger cousins and I was a after-school program counselor, so I can handle anything.

"Join the seasonal workforce at a special event  or in the tourism industry"
This seems more like a person who moves around from country to country or city to city. I would be sticking it in one place for awhile, but this seems perfect. Signing up to help with random events seems like a perfect way to spend my 20's.

"Become a travel writer"
Well, I am a journalism major... Maybe Verge magazine will take my stuff?

"Work on international development"
Being a part of something bigger than myself is something I've always to do. Going to a different country and helping others while seeing the world and learning about life outside of my New York bubble would be an incredible experience.

"Become a Travel Guide"
I went to Italy in my senior year of high school as a graduation present (I didn't sweet sixteen, so this is where those funds went). I remember most of our tour guides were maybe a few years older than I was at the time, and were all American. I thought to myself, "I could do this! I love history," which I do. I'm a history minor. I love walking around and talking about stuff I know too much about.

Perfect fit? I think yes.

What I really love about this service article is not only does it explain what you can gain out of these jobs, but it gives out websites or ideas where you can start searching!

A service article that actually supplies a service! Who would've thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment